PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

One of those moms

I am coming to terms with the fact that I can be a bit of an overachiever.  If you know me really well, you are probably laughing right now and saying, Really, Chrissie?  You have just figured that out? :)


I haven't always been that way, but it seems that with each passing child my instincts to multi-task sharpened and I found myself able to juggle more.

But man!  I am slowly realizing that although I can "get a lot done", I end up a lot of days feeling overwhelmed and feeling like I really missed out on "living in the moment".


I could make a concious decision not to make any art any more and still find my hands full with my family and our day to day living.  But art sustains me, it keeps me together, and even if it's only 10  or 15 minutes that I can find in a day, I am learning that it is enough.  It needs to be enough.  Because these kids of mine are growing up waaaaaaaaay too fast.

I thought I didn't want to be one of those moms.
You know, the one who centers her whole life around her kids? 
I'm starting to think maybe that's okay for awhile.
Maybe that's what they (and I) need for a little while.

When they are grown I want them to remember our times together as a family, not of Mom always doing art.
It's a fine balance, isn't it?

If you have all the answers already, please feel free to let me in on the secret.  :)

Have a blessed day,
Chrissie

5 comments:

Jennwith4 said...

Definitely don't have the answers but I'm on the same road you are on. :) have fun with the kids!

sara said...

OH my word! You and I are so on the same page. I am finding that there is SO much that can take me away from the kids and the moment! I have totally slowed down. There will be time for all of that later.

Erin Butson said...

It's a daily battle! onei've been praying about. My 2 year old wants me to play cars and I want to be creating. I know this time for playing cars is so fleeting, just a very short season, and every thing we pour into them now will "yield it's fruit in season". but it's still a daily battle.

Tasha Horsley said...

oh i hear you on this one chrissie! i love doing my art and sewing, quilting, creating, etc...but i also don't want to miss out on being there for my kids. i struggle with finding a balance, so i'm sorry i can't let you in on any secrets. ;)

i think that the fact that we CARE about finding that balance and that we are trying to be good to our families, means we are on the right track. :) (that was a little boost for our spirits!)

Adrienne said...

welcome to the mommy guilt club chrissie... we all have it. i struggle with it often as well and my kiddos are teenagers. sounds like you know what you're able to handle though. you're children are beautiful!